|Fox News Worse then No News|
A study from the University of Maryland found that on a range political issues Fox News viewers were more likely to believe false information than others. Furthermore, the more they watched Fox News the more misinformed they were. Here are some false statements that Fox viewers were more likely to believe:
- Most economists estimate the stimulus caused job losses
- Most economists have estimated the health care law will worsen the deficit
- The economy is getting worse
- Most scientists do not agree that climate change is occurring
- The stimulus legislation did not include any tax cuts
- Their own income taxes have gone up
- The auto bailout only occurred under Obama
- When TARP came up for a vote most Republicans opposed it
- And that it is not clear that Obama was born in the United States
A recent poll from Fairleigh Dickinson University found that Fox News viewers are less informed than people who do not watch any news. "Because of the controls for partisanship, we know these results are not just driven by Republicans or other groups being more likely to watch Fox News," said Dan Cassino, a professor of political science at Fairleigh Dickinson and an analyst for the PublicMind Poll. "Rather, the results show us that there is something about watching Fox News that leads people to do worse on these questions than those who don’t watch any news at all."
Panderbear long ago stopped watching TV news. Studies like these reinforce that decision. One of Panderbear's all time favorite bumper stickers read, "Friends don't let friends watch Fox News."
Post a Comment